Anxiety about dental appointments can be a very real and troubling problem for some people. Thanks to sedation dentistry, many patients are now finding a way to get the care they need without the fear and worry. How does sedation dentistry work, and is it right for you? Here’s how this treatment may make your next visit to the dentist something to smile about!
What Is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is a specialized service that uses different medications and techniques to relax patients during dental appointments. It offers patients a choice of options, depending on the severity of their discomfort. It may be used for all types of appointments, from simple dental cleanings to more complex procedures.
What Types of Sedation Dentistry Are Available?
The different levels of sedation vary based on each patient’s needs. The four levels we offer at Champagne Smiles include:
- Level 1: Nitrous Oxide - This is the most mild form of sedation we offer. It causes patients to feel more at ease, while remaining conscious. It’s sometimes referred to as “laughing gas,” because it can make some people feel giddy after inhaling it.
- Level 2: Nitrous Oxide with Valium - This approach combines nitrous oxide with an anti-anxiety medication. It can put patients in a deeper, more relaxed state than just nitrous oxide alone.
- Level 3: Oral Conscious Sedation - This level of sedation is sometimes referred to as the “twilight” state because patients will be conscious during the procedure, but will have little memory of it. It may be a good option for people who struggle with low pain thresholds, severe gag reflexes, or require an extensive amount of dental treatments in one visit.
- Level 4: IV Sedation - This level is more accurately called sleep dentistry instead of sedation dentistry because patients are completely asleep during the procedure. It involves having intravenous (IV) sedation provided and monitored by an anesthesiologist. Patients will have no memory of what happened whatsoever.
Am I a Candidate for Sedation Dentistry?
While many people may have some minor apprehension about going to the dentist, most do not need sedation dentistry. Now more than ever, medical advances and amenities are helping to make care more comfortable for all patients, and that’s certainly a priority at Champagne Smiles.
With that said, sedation dentistry can be a great alternative for people who have more intense worry and may even be putting off important care because of their fears. You may be a candidate for sedation dentistry if you experience concerns such as:
- Fear and anxiety about going to the dentist
- Worries or revulsion with noises or tastes during dental procedures
- Prior traumatic experiences at the dentist
- Dental procedures that will require an extensive amount time
Learn More About Sedation Dentistry in Morganville
If you or a loved one needs dental care, our team is committed to helping you feel as comfortable as possible. If you’d like to learn more about sedation dentistry or schedule an appointment, call us today at 732-972-0918, or feel free to request an appointment online.