There are many different methods used in sedation dentistry that help all sorts of patients to successfully undergo their dental procedures. IV sedation is one of them.
Known as sleep dentistry, IV sedation involves the use of general anesthesia to keep patients relaxed and calm during complex or extensive treatment. Let’s take a closer look at what IV sedation dentistry is - and whether or not it may help you on your next dental visit.
What is IV Sedation Dentistry?
IV sedation uses general anesthesia to put the patient to sleep for the duration of the treatment. Due to the significance of this option, extra care and precaution is taken and the general anesthesia is administered intravenously under the watchful eye of a licensed dental anesthesiologist.
IV sedation will allow patients with a high level of anxiety or dental fears to get through their dental appointment without worry. It also works great for those who have a lot of dental work to get through. With the patient being comfortably asleep the dentist is able to complete extensive dental work or multiple procedures all in one appointment. This not only boosts oral health, but it is also easier on the patient, too.
As general anesthesia is delivered through an IV, patients are always carefully monitored throughout the entire procedure.
Benefits of Choosing IV Sedation?
So, why choose IV sedation over mild sedatives? IV sedation may not be the best option for every dental procedure, but it can be quite beneficial when it is used.
Below are a few advantages of choosing IV sedation.
- It works fast thanks to being administered through an IV.
- It can provide patients with a greater level of sedation than other mild options.
- Most patients will not remember anything about their dental procedure.
- The effects of general anesthesia usually wear off faster than oral sedatives.
Finally, for those who have put off major dental work due to fears and phobias, IV sedation can be a game-changer when it comes to caring for oral health.
Is IV Sedation Right For You?
IV sedation can work great for many patients, helping them undergo dental treatment with ease. But it isn’t always the ideal choice. So, how do you know if IV sedation is right for you?
Talking it over with your dentist is a good place to start. However, this will give you an idea of who may benefit from all that IV sedation has to offer:
- Patients who are extremely nervous or apprehensive about treatment.
- Patients who have had a bad experience or past trauma with a dentist.
- Patients who are often uncooperative during dental procedures.
- Patients who have a strong gag reflex.
- Patients who are disabled, either mentally or physically.
- Patients who have a hard time getting numb from local anesthesia.
For those patients who need a lot of dental work done (or complex dental work), dentists find that using IV sedation allows them to handle many different procedures in one sitting.
Learn More About IV Sedation
If you think IV sedation will help you get through the dental procedures you need, then talk to the team at Champagne Smiles. We offer many different sedation options, including nitrous oxide, conscious oral sedation, and IV sedation. In other words, we are sure to find one that works well for you.