Losing a tooth can be a traumatic experience for many patients. Not only does losing teeth result in physical discomfort, but it can lead to emotional distress and embarrassment as well. At Champagne Smiles, we understand the many issues that our patients with missing teeth experience, and we’re here to help. With more than 25 years of experience providing dental implants, we can restore your healthy, vibrant smile.
What Are Dental Implants?
Dental implants replace tooth roots within the jawbone. Similar in shape to screws, dental implants fuse with the bone. They become a sturdy base for supporting one or more artificial teeth, known as crowns.
A connector, also called an abutment, is placed on top of the dental implant to hold and support your crown. Crowns are custom-made to match your natural teeth and fit properly into your mouth.
History of Dental Implants
Modern dental implants have been used for over 30 years. They are the strongest devices available to support replacement teeth, and they allow these new teeth to feel, look, and function naturally. When performed by an experienced dental implant dentist, like our own Dr. Champagne, implant surgery is one of the safest and most predictable procedures in dentistry.
Five Interesting Facts About Dental Implants
- Ancient dental implants have been traced back to around 600 AD, when tooth-like pieces of shell were hammered into the jaw of a Mayan woman.
- Dental implants are the only dental restoration option that preserves natural bone, actually helping to stimulate bone growth.
- In 1951, a small group of dentists who were successfully placing dental implants formed the AAID – American Academy of Implant Dentistry – to share their knowledge on the practice of implantology. AAID is the first professional organization in the world dedicated to advancing implant dentistry.
- In 1952, Swedish orthopedic surgeon P.I. Branemark discovered that titanium naturally fuses with bone, eventually switching his research focus to the mouth from the knee and hip.
- 3 million people in the United States have implants, a number that is growing by 500,000 annually.
Dr. Champagne & the BEST Implant Team
Dr. Champagne and the team have been the ONLY implant team voted BEST for the last 5 years. After completing his postgraduate dental implant training at NYU, Dr. Champagne decided to focus his cosmetic dentistry skills on dental implant restorations! His quest to provide his patients with dental implants that were not only functional, but beautiful as well, has led him to head New Jersey’s award winning dental implant team.
Ready to Get Started?
At Champagne Smiles, we offer a wide array of smile-enhancing cosmetic dentistry procedures, including cosmetic bonding, invisible braces, porcelain crowns, porcelain veneers, dental implants, sedation dentistry, teeth whitening and complete smile makeovers. You can call us at 732-972-0918 or request an appointment online. We look forward to restoring your winning smile!